Hi -

If I remember correctly, the reason for this change was to ensure that the
state is encodable at all. Prior to the change, there had been situations
where the coder specified on a state cell is buggy, absent or set
incorrectly (due to some issue in coder inference), but direct runner did
not detect this because it never tried to encode the state cells - this
would have blown up in any distributed runner.

I think it should be possible to relax this and clone only values being
added to the state, rather than cloning the whole state on copy(). I don't
have time to work on this change myself, but I can review a PR if someone
else does.