While I like the idea of having a CODEOWNERS file, the Github
implementation is lacking:
1. Reviewers are automatically assigned at each push.
2. Reviewer assignment can be excessive (e.g. 5 reviewers in Eugene's PR
5940).
3. Non-committers aren't assigned as reviewers.
4. Non-committers can't change the list of reviewers.

I propose renaming the file to disable the auto-reviewer assignment feature.
In its place I'll add a script that suggests reviewers.