Datatorrent the largest contributor to the Apex project has closed shop[1],
the project hasn't retired but development has significantly slowed down.
The Gearpump project has voted to retire[2].

Do people know if these runners are being used?
Do people spend enough time on supporting/updating code in these areas or
looking at test flakes that warrant supporting them still?
Are there other runners in a similar situation as to Apex or Gearpump?
Should we revisit this question once we have a larger integration that we
want to do like SplittableDoFn or portability?

1:
https://www.datanami.com/2018/05/08/datatorrent-stream-processing-startup-folds/
2:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/03fc0421bb425f79d623863335bc2b81e4b6c77a169f508aadce7785@%3Cdev.gearpump.apache.org%3E