On the split point: a mono-repo works for me as well. The main point is "N
separate builds".

On the portable thing: currently runner integrates with portable api. It
impacts all runner. The needed code is the same everywhere since it is
mainly a DoFn at the end (a bit caricatural but that is the big picture) so
at the end the portable impl can be unique and built in top of any runner.
The gains are:

1. Dont pollute java users
2. Single code maintenance
3. Support to upgrade the runner without changing this layer (contract
based integration - vs coupled one - so smoother updates in all layers)
4. Simpler code (at least in design)

Hooe it is clearer