On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 9:21 PM Kenneth Knowles <k...@apache.org> wrote:

> I think Robert's initial question needs to be focused on a particular split.

Yes, thank for bringing this back to the original question.

> I agree that a "single project spanning multiple repos" does not make sense.
> But separate projects in separate repos is pretty widely used :-). The point
> of separate repos IMO would be to empower (and force) them to act as separate
> projects.
>
> Every monorepo I have worked in has struggled with modularity problems. But
> conversely, a project with poor modularity can thrive in a monorepo because
> it is feasible to make changes across all the bits that are tightly coupled.
> Because it is a subtext whenever a Google employee talks about monorepos, I
> want to call out that Google's uniquely massive and interesting monorepo
> requires a tremendous amount of bespoke infrastructure to manage coupling,
> testing, ownership, etc*. It is not analogous to a large repo on GitHub.
>
> So... which pieces are "not separate enough" and why and how do we want to
> make them separate?
>
> I can think of some candidates that could benefit from some kind of
> "separateness":
>
>  - IOs or collections of IOs: separate release cadence, only build on stable
> SDK releases (potential for diamond dep problems)
>  - Portability protos: forces them to be highly stable and forces runners to
> adapt to major iterations
>  - Language SDKs: easier to build a community of devs with a clearly familiar
> project structure and toolchain
>
> Maybe the kinds of separation that folks want does not have to be a separate
> repo, as mentioned. But it is still important that most infrastructure and UI
> is geared towards a certain scale of project (not just repo): issue tracking,
> pull request management, mailing lists, ownership, selective test execution,
> triaging test failures, etc.

+1. I don't think the subcomponents of beam are yet independent or
large enough to merit being separate projects. (One criteria for being
a separate project is having its own website, otherwise where should
the website sources live?) Another criteria is the point at which
there is more gain then pain by allowing users to mix and match
different versions of different projects (and the forcing function of
being highly stable becomes more of an asset rather than a hindrance).

We may of course get there in time, but I don't think we're there yet
(certainly not until potability settles down at least), and consensus
seems to be that better divisions in the existing repo would resolve
most peoples concerns at the moment.