Hi Sam,

Good observation. Looks like we should fix that.

Looking at InMemoryJobService, it appears that the state can only be retrieved by the client once the job is running with a job/invocation id associated. Indeed, any messages until that could be lost.

For Flink the JobId is generated here:
https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/3db71dd9f6f32684903c54b15a5368991cd41f36/runners/flink/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/runners/flink/FlinkJobInvoker.java#L64

I don't see any benefit of having two separate IDs, as the IDs are already scoped by preparation and invocation phase.

- Would it be possible to just pass the preparation id as the invocation id at JobInvoker#invoke(..)?

- Alternatively, we could have an additional prepare phase for JobInvoker to get the job id for the invocation, before we start the job.

Thanks,
Max