On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 5:23 AM Robert Bradshaw <rober...@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 1:19 AM Ankur Goenka <goe...@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Sam for bringing this to the list.
> >
> > As preparation_ids are not reusable, having preparation_id and job_id
> same makes sense to me for Flink.
>
> I think we change the protocol and only have one kind of ID. As well
> as solving the problem at hand, it also simplifies the API.

That sounds fantastic.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 5:23 AM Robert Bradshaw <rober...@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 1:19 AM Ankur Goenka <goe...@google.com> wrote:

> Another option is to have a subscription for all states/messages on the
> JobServer.
> The problem is forcing the job service to remember all logs that were
> ever logged ever in case someone requests them at some future date.
> Best to have a way to register a listener earlier.

I agree with Robert that it should be the caller in charge of what to do
with generated monitoring data. This is especially true with long-running
jobs that generate potentially gigabytes worth of logs.

I made https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-6442 to track this. Let
me know if I missed anything.