On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 12:15 PM Lukasz Cwik <lc...@google.com> wrote:

> standard_coders.yaml[1] is where we are currently defining these formats.
> Unfortunately the Python SDK has its own copy[2].

Ah great. Thanks for the pointer. Any idea why there's  a separate copy for
Python ? I didn't see a significant difference in definitions looking at
few random coders there but I might have missed something. If there's no
reason to maintain two, we should probably unify.
Also, seems like we haven't added the definition for UTF-8 coder yet.

> Here is an example PR[3] that adds the "beam:coder:double:v1" as tests to
> the Java and Python SDKs to ensure interoperability.
>
> Robert Burke, does the Go SDK have a test where it uses
> standard_coders.yaml and runs compatibility tests?
>
> Chamikara, creating new coder classes is a pain since the type -> coder
> mapping per SDK language would select the non-well known type if we added a
> new one to a language. If we swapped the default type->coder mapping, this
> would still break update for pipelines forcing users to update their code
> to select the non-well known type. If we don't change the default
> type->coder mapping, the well known coder will gain little usage. I think
> we should fix the Python coder to use the same encoding as Java for UTF-8
> strings before there are too many Python SDK users.

I was thinking that may be we should just change the default UTF-8 coder
for Fn API path which is experimental. Updating Python to do what's done
for Java is fine if we agree that encoding used for Java should be the
standard.