Hi Robert,

> Sounds nice. Is there a design doc (or, perhaps, you could just give an
> example of what this would look like in this thread)?

I'll follow up shortly with something.  The good news is that this first PR
is quite straightforward and (I think) is independent of the semantics of
how an Environment will ultimately be used.  This PR just answers the
questions: "how do we represent an Environment outside of the portability
framework, and how do we convert that to and from the portability
representation?".  We already have very well established patterns for these
questions.

-chad