Thanks everyone for sharing your perspectives so far. It sounds like we can
mitigate the cost of test infrastructure by having:
- a selection of (fast) tests that we will want to run against all Python
versions we support.
- high priority Python versions, which we will test extensively.
- infrequent postcommit test that exercise low-priority versions.
We will need test infrastructure improvements to have the flexibility of
designating versions of high-pri/low-pri and minimizing efforts requiring
adopting a new version.

There is still a question of how long we want to support old Py3.x
versions. As mentioned above, I think we should not support them beyond EOL
(5 years after a release). I wonder if that is still too long. The cost of
supporting a version may include:
 - Developing against older Python version
 - Release overhead (building & storing containers, wheels, doing release
validation)
 - Complexity / development cost to support the quirks of the minor
versions.

We can decide to drop support, after, say, 4 years, or after usage drops
below a threshold, or decide on a case-by-case basis. Thoughts? Also asked
for feedback on user@ [1]

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r630a3b55aa8e75c68c8252ea6f824c3ab231ad56e18d916dfb84d9e8%40%3Cuser.beam.apache.org%3E