I didn't hear that has been changed so assume it's still only committers
that can see suggested reviewers, thus picking up someone based on the
source code history could be the feasible solution for non-committers.

An improvement though could be when picking up someone from the history,
you can check [1] to pick up a committer from that history. So that
committer can request reviewers on the right hand side.

[1]: https://projects.apache.org/committee.html?beam

-Rui