On Sep 29, 2005, at 1:51 PM, Dane Weber wrote:

As a user, I will be able to enter footnote, endnote, or inline
citations as I type.  When I enter one of these citations, I can
either select a work from a database I have access to, or I can enter
the work myself.

How would you cite a reference unless it was already in the database?

I suppose I was always assuming you have -- as I think Matthias' GUI design study awhile back had -- a panel from which you could drag and drop citations onto the document window. You could easily extend that model to do useful things like filter your references based on the document content.

When I cite from this work again, I can easily select the same work and simply change the page (or whatever) cited.

Yes.

Because these citations are dynamic, "Ibid.", first citation, and such
will be handled automatically.  I may also add my own text to the
citations without confounding the system.

Yes, and to most of us this is crucial. To me the test of how well we do is whether it is possible with move between radically different styles -- say numeric, author-year, and footnote-based -- with a simple change of a style switch, and NO document editing.

If we can do that -- and the design of everything I have worked on assumes just that -- then we will have a really excellent system that is superior to commercial counterparts.

At the end of the paper, essay, article, dissertation, or whatever, I
can generate a bibliography or "works cited" page that will include
one entry for each unique work that I cited, as well as uncited works
that I wish to have in the bibliography.  This bibliography can be
updated as I continue to revise the document.

Yes.

Is this effectively how the user experience is supposed to work?

Yes again of course.

The rest of what we are trying to do is allow users to grab all of
their bibliographic data from existing databases, right?

Yes. The plug-in architecture we would like to support would use the same mechanism to query, say, the Library of Congress catalog as it would to hook up to your bibliographic database, which could be either local or remote.

Bruce