On Mar 30, 2006, at 5:41 PM, Matt Price wrote:

Also very nice to have the "Functional Requirements" page up.  I wonder
though whether it might not be a good idea to start prioritizing all
these tasks.

I agree. I think we need to first clean up the formatting, and then work at streamlining everything.

Would (5) and (6), which Bruce calls "a separate chunk of code that
would  use the UNO interface", be a logical next step after CPH does
104?  What form do folks think it should take?

My interest in porting citeproc to other languages is to prototype this, and gain the experience we need to figure out how best to do this.

Alternatively, would it make most sense to design the bibliographic
database next -- since there are so few C coders here, but many people
with some database experience?

Yes, I think so. David and I have talked about this a bit off-list, and I have an early version of an SQL schema up here:

<http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/xbiblio/bib-sql/>

Feel free to post comments about it here, or otherwise help.

I met a guy on the db list who is a database expert and member of the core PostreSQL development team. He is willing to help us refine this, which would be really good (nothing like having an expert help out in key stuff like this).

I'm also playing with an AJAX-based Rails app based on the schema ;-)

I'm just thinking that if we (I know the first person is a bit iffy
here, as I'm hardly active) can start parcelling the project up a bit
better, we might find that there are a fair number of bits that non-C
programmers can work on.

Yes. Well, CPH did ask for help with the user list, which is pretty much non-technical. So that's a perfect opportunity for non-coders to help.

But beyond that, I think focusing on the data model and formatting code (including helping me make sure CSL is everything it should be*) is a good place to being for those of us without C++ skills (which is almost everyone on this list!).

Bruce

* I still may create a proposal to bake the logic of CSL directly into ODF, so all the more important.