On Jun 28, 2006, at 12:24 AM, pt wrote:

What I'm suggesting for consideration is that you take this example from http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ Bibliographic_Project%27s_Developer_Page#New_Citation_Coding

<cite:biblioref cite:key="Veer1996a">
    <cite:detail cite:units="pages" cite:begin="23" cite:end="24"/>
  </cite:biblioref>

And change it to something like this:

<cite:biblioref cite:key="Veer1996a-citation1">

  </cite:biblioref>

Where there the page-range details are stored in the bibliographic database as a new item that relates to the key 'Veer1996a' - so each page-range would
have its own record in the db.

OK, I see. But I'm not clear on what that buys us.

(I'm assuming the rendered text will go inside the cite element?)

The cite:citation-body element.

I'm still of the opinion that you would be better off building an
bibliographic database with the simplest possible hooks into the file
format; this could be implemented using a cross reference field or some
other field that exists already in OpenDocument.

We'll probably revisit the cite:key attribute to ensure we have a generic attribute for this linking. That attribute content will most likely be a uri, rather than the dumb string in the example on the wiki.

What if the OOo bibliographic tool had its own web server? Then the inline
text would look like:

23-24)</a>

Where the database would have a record for 'Veer1996a' and a record for each
page-range cited.

Intuitively I don't think that's very practical. Say I have 50 citations to a single source in a book; does it really make sense to have 50 database entries? For what benefit? That, in fact, goes against the grain of all existing citation systems I am aware of, so would seem to introduce more interoperability headaches?

Citeproc could change the rendered citation inside the <a> element
dynamically as has been proposed elsewhere.

I am suggesting these ideas because I think they would allow an integrated tool in OOo to also inter operate with Word documents, HTML documents and and so in the kinds of real environments we see at our university where we have Windows, Mac and Linux users running different versions of Word and OOo
and LaTeX.

Each format is going to have it's own approach to encoding the citations, but that's a trivial detail as I see it. If we say a citation should be a uri, then you could encode a full citation like this if you wanted:

        urn:isbn:2354-1235#page=23?suppress=author

But given ODF is a fairly nicely-designed XML format, we may as well have it encoded as clean XML. Besides, the new citation support is already approved (has been for about 18 months).

Or maybe I'm just missing something (feel free to correct); about time for bed!

Bruce