Possibly take a look at what has already been done using Django in this
arena?
 One project that jumps out with some Google foo is
https://djacket.github.io/

Also, if you want to separate (loosely couple) the front-end and the
back-end, possibly build the whole front-end with some js framework like
react?
All the functionality would be provided by the api, and all you need is
some Ajax calls.

For the slow stuff, possibly make these more asynchronous and use some form
of scheduler (celery / ampq bus)  to offload the work. Again, the result is
posted back via the api.

Just my 2c's worth