yes, it is end-of-life. For example, currently we kept all the release
versions since 2011? but I believe there is no one still running releases
like 4.0.* and 4.1.*, even 4.2*. We definitely need to clean up those old
releases and mark them as EOL (no more support from the community). If we
decide to go with time based releases, we will have more releases, which
make the EOL more obvious, otherwise it is so hard to keep backward
compatibility.