Hi Alex,

Good points.

Are you strongly against the status quo as well (given that the password may be "buried" when installing on a server)?

---
It feels like your objections are mostly about the auto-generated password, rather than about whether we have unauthenticating localhost.

Do you think we should change the behavior so that it sets up an initial default well-known credential of admin:password (which we log and document), and have localhost login require the same authentication?

(I'd be hesitant about that, given the server may be publicly reachable and is opening an easily guessable password on a predictable port.)

However, that would give consistency for all ways of launching Brooklyn. There are several use-cases to consider:

 * Vagrant (we already auto-populate brooklyn.properties with
   admin:password, I believe).
 * Install on a server
     o using RPM/DEB
     o manually running karaf (with `./bin/start`)
     o manually running `./bin/brooklyn launch`
 * Install on localhost (using any of the three ways listed above)

---
I was hoping to separate the work into two parts: making localhost and server behaviour consistent; and proper user/credential management.

Longer term, options include:

 * Installing the rpm/deb doesn't start the service (giving the user a
   chance to configure security first)
 * Force the user to change the initial password on first login, etc.

Aled