Github user ahgittin commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-server/pull/281

    Thinking aloud...

    Where a key is defined at a parent/ancestor/bequeather it could specify

    * is this inheritable?  (if false, descendants will never see it and all
other options are ignored.)
    * what conflict-resolution strategy should inheritors apply?  eg overwrite
or deep merge

    Where a key is defined at a child/descendant/inheritor it could specify:

    * what conflict-resolution-strategy should be applied?  (as above, or
following bequeather's recommendations, or perhaps "ignore inherited")
    * should local default values be attended to?  (this is low priority but
having this and saying true would allow us to drop an "ignore inherited"
strategy because it would be the same as overwriting; and we get the option of
merging default values for free)

    Based on this I propose we change inheritance to three attributes:

    * reinheritable?  true/false; if false, children/descendants/inheritors
will never see it; default true
    * conflict-resolution-strategy?  overwrite or deep_merge or null; default
null meaning caller supplies
    * use-local-default-value? true/false; if true, overwrite above means
"always ignore"; default false

    (And still more to follow.)

---
with INFRA.