Github user geomacy commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-client/pull/29

    Thanks for the comments @neykov, @drigodwin.  Some notes below, where if I
haven't commented on a point I will just make the changes suggested.

    - How do I discover the -a, -l, etc. flags?
    On its own `catalog` gives you
    ```
    $ br catalog
    'catalog' requires one of (list | add | delete)
    ```
    and help text for `catalog list` gives
    ```
    $ br catalog list --help
    NAME:
       list - * List the available catalog applications

    USAGE:
       BROOKLYN_NAME catalog list
       --applications, -a       list applications (default)
       --entities, -e   list entities
       --locations, -l  list locations
       --policies, -p   list policies
    ```
    I though about `catalog list` _not_ defaulting to applications, but I think
it's better for it to do so.

    - Can you keep the old way of doing things for a release (with a
deprecation warning)
      - I'll update so deprecated command are retained but marked as deprecated
in their help text.

    - Can't combine -a, -l flags, only first one is used. If that's the
intended behaviour then would it be better if we promote the flags to keywords?
      - It is deliberate, I have a _slight_ preference toward this rather than
listing multiple things at once, but don't feel strongly about it.  The long
form does exist, e.g. --locations, I thought it was maybe handy to have the
short form too.

    - Nice yaml validation with line numbers :)
      - This is just coming from the REST API, I am just passing the error
message through now.

    - Can you update the docs
(http://brooklyn.apache.org/v/latest/ops/cli/cli-ref-guide.html and elsewhere?)
      - Will do, wanted to get the form of this fixed first.

    - When listing catalog items some of the descriptions contain new lines,
getting in the way of scripting the output. Either replacing the separator with
tabs or forcing no line breaks (i.e. replacing them with space) ...
      - I'll replace newlines

    - re `br tree` I have created
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BROOKLYN-365

    - Would it be worth keeping both add and add-catalog and depreciating the
latter rather than just removing it? This will presumably break a few scripts
round the place.
      - will do

---
with INFRA.