Github user geomacy commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-server/pull/791

    @aledsage very good questions!

    I agree it's best to propagate the exception if it happens - if it's due to
a scenario like (1) where the FS can't guarantee the sync, then it's the wrong
filesystem for doing persistence.  A retry is probably a good idea - have added
one in latest commit, deliberately keeping it very simple, to avoid possibly
introducing other issues. Let me know what you think.

    I had a look at testing this but can't think of a way to do it easily.
You'd either have to have a file system that you could force to fail `sync` on
demand (something using FUSE?), or mock out the `sync` itself - I looked into
using a dynamic proxy, but `FileDescriptor` is `static final` so not suitable
for proxying. Would be glad of any suggestions.

---
with INFRA.
---