Hi, Michael. Note that the latest release of Apache BVal currently
implements v1.0 of the BV specification and thus that JEE 6 is the
relevant "uber-spec." That being the case I see the quoted text at
section 5.16 rather than 5.17, but that slight discrepancy
notwithstanding, my read on this is as follows:

The BV spec is designed to function in a Java SE environment. The EE
spec imposes the WEB-INF/validation.xml location, but goes on, in
section 5.16.2 to say:
  The Java EE Product Provider is responsible for providing
appropriate Validator and ValidatorFactory objects as required by this
specification.

I conclude that the onus of bootstrapping the ValidatorFactory et al
lies at the level of the EE container managing the bean validation
impl. For a simple webapp in which you are managing BV yourself,
therefore, WEB-INF/validation.xml is only applicable if you choose to
make it so. Others are welcome to present differing opinions, however.

HTH,
Matt