As is typical for complex pieces of code like this, the documentation
is in the code (and the unit test). It's probably not what you wanted
to hear, but the code mutates quite fast and so if we'd written a
design doc a few months ago it would be partially inaccurate.

I, Maryann Xue and Amogh Margoor are the main authors of this code.

Suggest you find a relevant test case in MaterializationTest (or write
a new one) and run it with trace enabled and/or in a debugger. You
will see the process of matching an expression to a MV bottom up if
you watch each call to UnifyRule.unify.

Julian