It is indeed great to see the wide adoption of Calcite. For instance, in the
upcoming Big Data Europe I count at least 5 presentations that will talk in
more or less detail about Calcite. And an anecdote: after last release, I got
a question from a business analyst about Calcite - he was continuously
hearing about the project in different venues (Hadoop Summit, Flink Forward,
etc.), but none of the commercial distributions were specifically indicating
that they support it, so he got curious... what was this project?

As stated previously, I think that continuing to improve the support for
streaming and semi-structured data, both at the interfacing and optimization
level, is key to make Calcite a toolbox that can be used by as many data
processing systems as possible now and in the near future. The wide adoption
is also helping us to consolidate the code, extending the tests coverage with
every new release, which is great.

I think a valid point was raised wrt to documentation. IMO, it is not a
problem of content (although it could be improved), but rather about the
presentation of the information: better show 'what' you can find in the
website and 'where' you can find it. I took a look at the presentation by
Jordan and it looks great! It would be nice to integrate some of its content
within the website.
I think we had this discussion when the project was still incubating, but
maybe we could start it again in a different thread since the community has
grown a lot since then: how to reorganize the content so it is clear for
newcomers what the project is, what it does, its different components, and
ways to integrate it with your own system.
Maybe cleaning the design (I personally like what they did recently with the
Apache Kafka website[1]) would help too.

An additional topic to discuss. Since Calcite is mainly used as a toolbox,
most users and devs work primarily in other projects. Probably due to that,
in some occasions I detect a tendency to 'ask' for support for 'x' and 'y',
instead of trying to implement and contribute solutions to the project.
Further, even if features are implemented, it might be done in those projects
instead of Calcite itself, and maybe never contributed back to the core. Let
me be clear: I do not mean it is done in bad faith; in many cases it might be
due to time constraints, something that I have experienced myself first-hand.
However, I wanted to raise this question for the rest of the community,
especially the most experienced members: is this a risk for Calcite
development? How do other Apache projects that are mainly used as a library
instead of a stand-alone project, deal with this? Do they do anything special
to engage the community in contributing the code back to the core?

Wrt to the PMC chair, thanks for proposing my name Julian. I truly enjoy
contributing to Calcite, and if the rest of the community agrees, I would be
happy to step up and continue contributing from that new role for one year.
But you all need to bear in mind that I will never be able to fill Julian's
shoes and the great work that he has done as the current PMC chair!

--
Jesús

[1] http://kafka.apache.org/