While it would be great to have some movement forward on this, I think it
seems too ambitious for a GSoC project. I am definitely looking forward to
seeing this implemented though :)

As for the issues I referenced earlier, I applied the GSoC label and below
is a short link. Feel free to pass around to anyone you know who may be
interested.

https://s.apache.org/calcite-gsoc2018

Cheers,
--