There doesn’t seem to be a clear victor:
TIMESTAMPADD is specified by ODBC, whereas interval “+”  is specified by the
SQL standard. TIMESTAMPADD
TIMESTAMPADD with Calcite extensions can handle unusual intervals such as WEEK,
whereas these cannot be directly expressed using interval “+”
Interval “+” can handle multi-unit intervals (e.g. INTERVAL ‘2:30’ HOUR TO
MINUTE) whereas the best TIMESTAMPADD could do would be 90 minutes.

Whichever form we adopt internally, there will be some looseness. When we
convert to the other form, the expression will sometimes look different than
the user typed.

There is a good reason to choose an internal representation. Then we can pool
our resources writing transformation rules that optimize these kinds of
expressions.

However, it would be reasonable for the JDBC adapter to convert to whichever is
the preferred form for the target database.

It would be useful to have Rex utilities to convert from each form to the other
form.

Julian