Julian, I know it might be tough, yet:
1) I would like you to believe me I just forgot howto and the other places
hard-code Java versions.
Of course, "we support Java 17" is a notable change, and it does deserve to
be in the release notes,
however, the typical current process is to "file JIRA for notable changes",
so I did just that, and created
CALCITE-4829 Bump Gradle to 7.2 and test with Java 17 at GitHub Actions.

I agree it is unclear how the release manager could deduce they should add
"Calcite X.Y supports Java 17 now" to the release notes.
However, I am sure that could have happened with ANY change.
The release manager often is not in a position to judge which changes are
notable for the release.

2) I previously suggested we should automate the replacement of "the
maximum supported Java".
I believe the current failure highlights that once again.
We can never expect contributors to remember all the places Java versions
can be mentioned.

-----

Julian>then the following tasks need to be done:
Julian>Update the Gradle version in howto.md...

I am afraid it does not solve the root cause, so we should do something
different.
New Java and Gradle versions would appear, and we would keep forgetting to
update all the places.

I suggest we add a variable like max_tested_java_version somewhere
(gradle.properties? somewhere else?)
Then we use the variable for building the website and we would check CI
does test with the given version.

^^^ this suggestion will stop those discussions once and forever.
That is basically the same thing I suggested in CALCITE-4575.

>Does Calcite now support Java 16 and 17?

17 is available, so there's no point in mentioning "Java 16 is supported".

Current text:

>Building from a source distribution
>Prerequisite is Java (JDK 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15) and Gradle
(version 7.2) on your path

I would suggest:

>Building from a source distribution
>Prerequisite is Java 8 to ${max_tested_java_version} and Gradle (version
${gradle_version_from_wrapper}) on your path

Julian>Change the subject of
Julian>https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-4547 to "Support Java
16
Julian>and 17",

-0.97 for mentioning "support Java 16"
We do not support that version, we do not test with Java 16, and we do not
want to add
Java 16 tests as it would significantly increase test times.
We just hope it would work.

Of course, most likely Calcite would work with Java 16 since Calcite works
with 11 and 17.
However, please, Julian, please, let us stop mentioning that we support
irrelevant versions?
None of Java vendors provide LTS for 16.

Vladimir