Hi, Camel friends,

As you may have heard, Red Hat recently embarked on a company-wide effort to remove problematic/unwelcoming language from code, documentation, and web presences, both upstream and downstream, related to projects that we care about, and which form critical parts of our technology stack. Camel is, of course, one of those projects.

We are joined in this effort by colleagues at a large and growing number of technology companies and organizations.

Our CTO Chris Wright blogged about this - https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/making-open-source-more-inclusive-eradicating-problematic-language - back in June and we have been making steady - if slow - progress since then.

I'm in the process of reaching out to various projects to see what we can do to get this work done.

I was wondering if Camel is looking at this issue at all.

A lazy github search shows, of the words that we've been focusing on:

Slave
https://github.com/apache/camel/search?q=slave
30

Master
https://github.com/apache/camel/search?q=master
567

Whitelist
https://github.com/apache/camel/search?q=whitelist
72

Blacklist
https://github.com/apache/camel/search?q=blacklist
65

We've drafted a document about how one might approach this topic - https://github.com/conscious-lang/conscious-lang-docs/blob/main/recommendations.md and a faq at https://github.com/conscious-lang/conscious-lang-docs/blob/main/faq.md if you'd like to read more about the "what", "why", and "how" of this project, and I'd be glad to discuss this more with any of you.