Hi community,
Carbondata currently support two types of compaction: Minor and Major
compaction.
CarbonData will do major compaction according to the user defined segment
size. But which segments to be merged are transparent to users.
We plan to extend major compaction to support user specified segments, this
will be useful in cases below:
1) we can precisely control which part of table to be merged when table is
very large.
2) each table can has its own compaction strategy which controlled by user
app.

the proposed syntax:
ALTER TABLE [db_name].table_name COMPACT [SEGMENT seg_id1,seg_id2] 'MAJOR'
in which [SEGMENT seg_id1,seg_id2] is optional and compatible with original
syntax.

--
Sent from: