Hi Jin Zhou

Thanks for starting this discussion.
1. For your first proposal : Currently , segment is the system internal
concept, not expose to outside.
Can you provide what exact problems do you encounter?  we can find the
alternative solution for your problems.
1) we can precisely control which part of table to be merged when table is
very large.

2. For your second proposal, my comment is +1, agree. can you please create
an apache jira for this ?
We would like to invite you to participate in implementing this feature
together :)
2) each table can has its own compaction strategy which controlled by user
app.

Regards
Liang

Jin Zhou wrote
> Hi community,
> Carbondata currently support two types of compaction: Minor and Major
> compaction.
> CarbonData will do major compaction according to the user defined segment
> size. But which segments to be merged are transparent to users.
> We plan to extend major compaction to support user specified segments,
> this
> will be useful in cases below:
> 1) we can precisely control which part of table to be merged when table is
> very large.
> 2) each table can has its own compaction strategy which controlled by user
> app.
>
> the proposed syntax:
> ALTER TABLE [db_name].table_name COMPACT [SEGMENT seg_id1,seg_id2] 'MAJOR'
> in which [SEGMENT seg_id1,seg_id2] is optional and compatible with
> original
> syntax.
>

> --
> Sent from: