The client-server protocol is well defined in the Cassandra repo, so any
one may implement a client library for any language. However, it is a far
from trivial task, so not many folks build their own. Thus, already-built
drivers tend to become the de facto standard, but we (the Apache Cassandra
committers/PMC) do not/have not blessed any vendor's driver(s) as official.

As to why there is not a canonical set of drivers in the Cassandra repo,
well, we've just never gotten into that game as an OSS community.

-Jason (not affiliated with DataStax)