On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 4:38 PM, Jason Brown <jasedbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sylvain,
>
> In the large, yes, that is the best "have enough mechanism in place that no
> further ticket _have to_ wait for a major", but many of the tickets we are
> talking about makes changes to things we've all agreed can *only* happen at
> majors, as per the
> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/CompatibilityGuarantees
> (changing the internode protocol, for instance).

I don't think we ever agreed that being able to only make *any* kind of
change to
the intra-node protocol (to take that example) was a good thing. We merely
agreed that this was kind of necessary due to the problem I'm suggesting we
tackle (and some other we already tackled).
That, and the fact that until tick-tock we were supposed to add feature only
in major releases in the first place. In tick-tock, every feature release
is kind
of a major, and the fact we have to wait on some "super"-major for some
issue
is wrong.

> if we're willing to trade on those Guarantees, then sure, majors are just
> bike shedding the version numbers, but I suspect we don't want to do that
> ;)

That's exactly what I'm suggesting, and I'd be somewhat surprised we don't
want to because I'm convinced it's the right thing to do :)