I feel like the calendar is relevant though because if we delay 3.8 more
we're looking at a week, maybe 10 days before 3.9 is scheduled.  Which
doesn't give us much time for the stabilizing we're supposed to do in 3.9.

All in all I think I agree that releasing 3.8 in August is less confusing
than skipping it entirely.  And I don't like the idea of ignoring a whole
bunch of test failures and hoping they don't mean anything, because we just
had that thread about getting more rigorous about tests, not less.

So I would recommend we go ahead and fix this before releasing, and to
avoid a super compressed 3.9 window either retarget 3.8 for August, or 3.9
for September.