On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 12:42 AM, Aleksey Yeschenko <alek...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Sorry, but I’m counting 3 binding +1s and 1 binding -1 (2, if you
> interpret Jonathan’s emails as such).
>
> Thus, if you were to do close the vote now, the vote is passing with the
> binding majority, and the required minimum # of +1s gained.
>
> I also don’t see the PMC consensus on ‘August 3.8 release target’.
>
> As such, the vote is now reopened for further discussion, and to allow PMC
> to change their votes if they feel like it (I, for one, have just returned,
> and need to reevaluate 12236 in light of new comments).

It has been my understanding that we took a more human approach to release
decisions than strictly and blindly adhering to the Apache written voting
rules. There has been many votes that has been re-rolled even though they
had had more than 3 binding vote already when a problem was detected, and
it never took an official PMC vote to do so, nor did we ever officially
waited on the cast votes to be officially reverted.

I'm also sad that knowing that there is a bug that breaks in-flight queries
during upgrade *and* the fact the vast majority of our upgrade tests are
failing is not _obviously_ enough to hold a release, without the need for
further considerations. This speaks imo poorly of the PMC attachment to
release quality.

But you are correct on the technicality of vote counting and their official
consequences according to the written rules ...