As there has been no strong objection, I'm going to proceed and create the
branch.

Note that I'm discarding Michael remark as a joke due to the use of a
smiley, but just in case that was a genuine concern, I'll argue that 1)
'trunk' isn't really more arithmetic friendly so I don't think there is too
much reliance on this for branch names out there and 2) I really don't care
about the branch name, 3.X just feels the more natural, but if something
thing just calling it '3' or something else would be better, be my guest
and rename it.