Right, so in SSTableReader#GlobalTidy$tidy it does:
// don't ideally want to dropPageCache for the file until all instances have
been released
CLibrary.trySkipCache(desc.filenameFor(Component.DATA), 0, 0);
CLibrary.trySkipCache(desc.filenameFor(Component.PRIMARY_INDEX), 0, 0);

It seems to me every time the reference is released on a new sstable we would
immediately tidy() it and then call posix_fadvise with POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED with
an offset of 0 and a length of 0 (which I'm thinking is doing so in respect to
the API behavior in modern Linux kernel builds?). Am I reading things correctly
here? Sorta hard as there are many different code paths the reference could
have tidy() called.

Why would we want to drop the segment we just write from the page cache --
wouldn't that most likely be the most hot data, and even if it turned out not
to be wouldn't it be better in this case to have kernel be smart at what it's
best at?

best,
kjellman