If the ASF is at risk with a single company allowed to dominate a project then
why couldn't the approach have been something like: "great job on building a
successful project and community. We think there is great potential for more
involvement at the core contribution level. How can we work together to augment
the existing efforts to encourage contribution and bring in new contributors?
By the way here are a couple of policy and trademark things that we need to get
fixed."

I didn't understand the assumption that DataStax was doing something nefarious
nor the approach that was taken.  On a personal note I had tried to ask about
evidence and the approach previously but was ignored:
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@cassandra.apache.org/msg09101.html  Perhaps
that was due to the volume of messages on that thread but I don't feel those
questions were ever addressed.

Regardless, I see a positive way forward for the project and am grateful to
everyone working towards that.