I think this was how it was in the dark ages, with the wiki and all. I
believe the reason why they shifted to in-tree docs is that this way,
people who make changes to the code are more likely to make the
corresponding doc changes as well, and reviewers have it easier to ensure
docs are updated with new patches. The wiki was often left behind the code.
So I they will move back to an out-of-tree doc system again. The way
Michael put it in CASSANDRA-13907, the main blocker behind having docs for
multiple versions online is that it's a pain just to get the docs for trunk
updated. Once the current site update process is improved, multiple
versions can more easily be added.

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 1:22 Kenneth Brotman <kenbrot...@yahoo.com.invalid>

> For some reason I'm told by many committers that we should not have sets of
> documentation for other versions than the current version in a tree for
> that
> version.  This has made it difficult, maybe impossible to have
> documentation
> for all the supported versions on the website at one time.
>

> As a solution I propose that we maintain the online documentation in a
> separate repository that is managed as the current repository under the
> guidance of the Apache Cassandra PMC (Project Management Committee); and
> that in the new repository . . .
>

> Please see the jira.  I hope it's a good answer to everyone.
>

> KennethBrotman
>

> --

Murukesh Mohanan,
Yahoo! Japan