>> Wouldn't that potentially leave us in a situation where we're ready for
a C* release but blocked waiting on a new LTS cut?

Agreed, and perhaps if we're close enough to a LTS release (say three
months or less), we could choose to delay (probably with community
input/vote). If we're a year or two out, then, no, we should not wait. I
think this is what I meant to communicate by "Perhaps we can evaluate this
over time." (poorly stated, in hindsight)