Agreed with Josh.  There’s nothing set in stone after we release 4.0, trying to
extrapolate what we do here for the rest of humanity’s timeline isn’t going to
be a useful exercise.

Regarding building a big list - it’s of no value.  In fact, if we’re already
talking about releasing 4.0 we should really only be merging in small features
that enhance user experience like improving nodetool output or reasonable
optimizations.  Merging in big features at the very end of the merge window is
a really great idea to have dozens of follow up bug fix releases that nobody
considers stable, where the Coli conjecture always wins.  IMO, it would be
better / more responsible to merge them into trunk *after* we branch for 4.0.
Yes, that makes the next release less exciting, but I really don’t think
“exciting” is what we’re shooting for.  I’m more in favor of stable.

Regarding supporting 3.0 / 3.11, since we’re talking about feature freezing 4.0
2 months from now, and releasing it *sometime* after that, then add 6 months,
we’re talking about close to an extra year of 3.0 support.  People are, of
course, free to continue patching 3.0, back porting fixes, etc, but I am
completely OK with saying there’s only 9 more months of support starting today.

I’m also in the go straight to 3.11 camp.  I see no reason to upgrade to only
3.0 if you’re on 2.x.

Jon