If you are going to make 4 bigger as long as we call out that 3.11.x (or
whatever) will keep getting patches for stability only that's all that's
needed. We haven't gone to 3.x releases many places yet as we wait for a
release that will be stable longer. Knowing 4 is going to be bigger I
wouldn't want to see more feature releases in 3.x

I wouldn't want to greatly slow features down if they require a major
release and 5 is too far off.

Jeff