Maybe people would have preferred to know early about potential
deadlines, before investing a lot of time into "pet ticket"
contributions? It's hard enough to make assumptions about if and when
contributions make it into a release, but with feature freeze deadlines
falling from the sky any time, it's getting a pure gamble and I wouldn't
be surprised to see especially companies becoming more reluctant to
sponsor work on larger contributions.

But I do agree with your statement to "make it clear what kind of
contributions are "preferred" at any given time". But really "any given
time", not just when it's convenient for us to have people help fix
testing, before they "may continue working on their pet tickets" again.