If we want to have a stable, usable 4.0.0 release out in the next 6-12 months,
there needs to be a focused effort on getting it out - or else it’ll just never
happen.

This is more of a call to action and announcement of intent than an attempt to
enforce policy; we can and probably will branch off 4.0, and keep trunk
technically active. But so long as there is a critical mass of active
contributors who are on board with only/mostly working on stability, bug fixes,
and validation - both as assignees and reviewers - we’ll have a de-facto freeze.

And I have a feeling that there is such a critical mass.

—
AY