> Periodic SNAPSHOT builds sounds great. I'd feel much better about builds
> published as date- or SHA-stamped snapshots / nightlies rather than
> calling them alphas at this point, as everyone's testing work is
> beginning. Can someone offer details on what would need to be done to
> publish snapshots or nightlies in the context of Apache build
> infrastructure?

Yes.

For the maven artefacts, timestamped snapshots (or nightlies) can be made
available through
  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/

For the downloadable binary and source artefacts the staging area can be used
for nightlies
  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/cassandra/

(This staging area is now what is supposed to be used for staging releases,
instead of people.apache.org which was the old ASF way of doing it. I wrote
some of this up in the recent release docs, which are still wip:
https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/trunk/doc/source/development/release_process.rst
 )

Mick