That's probably a stupid question, and excuse me if it is, but what does
those votes on the dev mailing list even mean?

How do you count votes at the end? Just by counting all votes cast,
irregardless of whomever cast it? Or are we intending to only count PMC
members, or maybe committers votes?
If the former, that is a bit weird to me because we simply don't know who
votes. And I don't mean to be rude towards anyone, but 1) someone could
easily create 10 email addresses to vote 10 times (and sure, you could
invoke trust, and I'm not entirely against trust in general, but it's the
internet...) and 2) this kind of decision will have non-trivial
consequences for the project, particularly on those that maintain it, so I
admit I'm not entirely comfortable with "anyone's voice has the same
weight".
If the latter, then this makes more sense to me (why are we even bothering
voting PMC members in if it's not to handle these kinds of decisions, which
are very "project management" related), but we should be very clear about
this from the get go (we could still use the dev list for transparency
sake, that I don't mind)? We should probably also have some deadline to the
vote, one that isn't too short.

Anyway, fwiw, my opinion on this vote is not far from the one on the golang
driver acceptance vote (for which my remark above also apply btw): no yet
100% convinced adding more pieces and scope to the project is what the
project needs just right now, but not strongly opposed if people really
wants this (and this one makes more sense to me than the golang driver
actually). But if I'm to pick between a) and b), I'm leaning b).

--
Sylvain