Shall we move this discussion to a separate thread?  I agree it needs to be
had, but this will definitely derail this discussion.

To respond only to the relevant portion for this thread:

> changing years-old defaults

I don’t see how age is relevant?  This isn’t some ‘battle hardened’ feature
we’re changing - most users don’t even know to change this parameter, so we
can’t claim its length of existence works in its favour.

The project had fewer resources to be as thorough when this tickets landed, so
we can’t even claim we’re overturning careful work.  This default was defined
in 2011 with no performance comparisons with other possible sizes, or
justification for the selection made on ticket (CASSANDRA-47 - yes, they once
went down to two digits!).

That’s not to say this wasn’t a fine default - it was.  In this case, age has
actively worked against it.  Since 2011, SSDs have become the norm, and most
servers have more memory than we are presently able to utilise effectively.

This is a no brainer, and doesn’t have any impact on testing.  Tests run with
64KiB are just as valid as those run with 16KiB.  Performance tests should
anyway compare like-to-like, so this is completely testing neutral AFAICT.