If I read Josh’s reply right, I think the suggestion is to periodically review
active labels and promote those that are demonstrably useful to components (cf.
folksonomy ->
taxonomy<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folksonomy#Folksonomy_vs._taxonomy>). I
hadn’t read the reply as indicating that labels should be zero’d out
periodically. In any case, I agree that reviewing active labels and
re-evaluating our taxonomy from time to time sounds great; I don’t think I’d
zero them, though.

Responding to a few comments:

–––

– To Joey’s question about issues languishing in Triage: I like the idea of an
SLO for the “triage” state. I am happy to commit time and resources to triaging
newly-reported issues, and to JIRA pruning/gardening in general. I spent part
of the weekend before last adding components to a few hundred open issues and
preparing the Confluence reports mentioned in the other thread. It was calming.
We can also figure out how to rotate / share this responsibility.

– Labels discussion: If we adopt a more structured component hierarchy to treat
as our primary method of organization, keep labels around for people to use as
they’d like (e.g., for custom JQL queries useful to their workflows), and
periodically promote those that are widely useful, I think that sounds like a
fine outcome.

– On Sankalp’s question of issue reporter / new contributor burden: I actually
think the pruning of fields on the “new issue form” makes reporting issues
easier and ensures that information we need is captured. Having the triage step
will also provide a nice task queue for screening bugs, and ensures a
contributor’s taken a look + screened appropriately (rather than support
requests immediately being marked “Critical/Blocker” and assigned a fix version
by the reporter).

– On Sankalp’s question of the non-committer’s workflow during first pass of
review, I think that’s covered here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/JIRA+Workflow+Proposals#JIRAWorkflowProposals-Workflow

–––

I also want to step back and thank Benedict and Kurt for all of their analysis
and information architecture work behind this proposal. "Workflow and bug
tracker hygiene” can be a thankless endeavor; I want to make sure this one’s
not. Thank you both!

If we’re nearing consensus on “keeping labels, and considering them for
promotion to components periodically,” are there other items we need to resolve
before we generally feel good about the changes?

– Scott

On November 26, 2018 at 3:14:05 PM, Benedict Elliott Smith