In my original TWCS talk a few years back, I suggested that people make the
partitions match the time window to avoid exactly what you’re describing. I
added that to the talk because my first team that used TWCS (the team for which
I built TWCS) had a data model not unlike yours, and the read-every-sstable
thing turns out not to work that well if you have lots of windows (or very
large partitions). If you do this, you can fan out a bunch of async reads for
the first few days and ask for more as you need to fill the page - this means
the reads are more distributed, too, which is an extra bonus when you have
noisy partitions.

In 3.0 and newer (I think, don’t quote me in the specific version), the sstable
metadata has the min and max clustering which helps exclude sstables from the
read path quite well if everything in the table is using timestamp clustering
columns. I know there was some issue with this and RTs recently, so I’m not
sure if it’s current state, but worth considering that this may be much better
on 3.0+

--
Jeff Jirsa