I second David. I think I can speak up here as I perfectly fit into
the bucket of "new people trying to contribute".

While it is true that reviews tend to take a long time I am perfectly
happy with people who eventually look at them. It is understandable
that there is a lot of going on and a committer / more experienced
people do not have time to give a feedback immediately but as long as
it is not forgotten completely (which has never happened to me), to me
personally it does not matter too much how "fast" something is
reviewed and merged even though I would be delighted if my changes are
reviewed and merged faster (who would not not be, right?)

I do not think that making yet another branch would make any
significant difference, it can always be done against trunk and it
would be harder to merge back as there might be a lot of conflicts etc
... Anyway, I am trying to go over tickets which are fixing and
improving upcoming 4.0 and they are retrofitted into older branches if
applicable. It is a very nice compromise. It gives signals to folks
like "sure, we look into it, but if it fixes things in 4.0, it will be
looked at even faster", so it motivates people to primarily focus on
4.0 which directly benefits the project to release 4.0 sooner.

There is also an argument in this thread that having cassandra-5.0
would leave the burden of rebasing / fixing conflicts to respective
contributors, quoting: "A cassandra-5.0 branch in-tree where the
burden of maintenance would fall on people using the branch seems to
mitigate that concern.". To be honest, I find myself preparing the
branch for committers / reviewers perfectly fine and it is the minimum
I can do so they do not have to - it is just a basic courtesy to
prepare my work in such a way that it is reviewed comfortably and it
can go straight in. I am even semi regularly ensuring that my open
branches are on-par with the trunk every other day so once a comitter
takes a look, everything is in place. I do not know if I am an
exception but this is just natural process to me.

Maybe the effort should be done in the area of getting more people on
board technically so they can start to review things themselves (which
indeed takes a lot of time and patience) instead of creating a new
branch so they can pile up their stuff there.