It's been a while now for this thread, but it seems to me that it has
been established:

1. This is an opensource project and anyone is free to work on any
part of it that they choose. Nobody has authority over this other than
the contributor.
2. Some people are concerned that allowing innovation (in code) will
make 4.0 take longer to release and cause them the pain of merging up
yet another branch.

So, here's what I've done, in an effort to make a space for both of
these groups to operate: the exact same thing we've done for every
release in the past.  I created a branch for the 4.0 release.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!

Alright, calm down.  You're in group 2, don't worry:  you have your
4.0 branch! You can completely focus on it, and if that's all you want
to do, that's fine! YOU DO NOT NEED TO MERGE TO TRUNK.  Those who wish
to volunteer their time merging from 4.0 to trunk will pick up this
mantle.  If nobody does and I get exhausted, we'll just abort it and
delete the branch, no big deal.  One more time to make this crystal
clear: IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO MERGE FROM 4.0 TO TRUNK, YOU ARE ABSOLVED
FROM THIS DUTY.  The branch is named, unsurprisingly, 'cassandra-4.0'

As for those who wish to begin working on new features, trunk is now
open for business.

The merge order is now 2.1->2.2->3.0->3.11->4.0 and _optionally_,
should you _choose_, trunk.

The show must go on.