Hi Benjamin,

I was discussing this closely with Paulo some time ago, you may have
already read the other email about this topic when I was talking about
what we wanted to do with a GSOC student. I just can not find it for
now ...

In general I agree that we might slowly drift away from nodetool but
one particular command I am working on right now is CASSANDRA-16725.
It is done, I am just polishing tests but it is in general good to go.
There is currently not any way to actually see how audit logging is
configured (except looking into cassandra.yaml but after you disable /
enable it with a different configuration, I am not sure of any way to
check this in runtime which is quite absurd).

Hence what I would like to do is to add 16725 as the last command ever
in nodetool and after that we might just make a big fat line and we
might slowly transition to a new system on virtual tables.

The primary reason I want to finish 16725 is that, let's not kid
ourselves, it will take another half of year to have something usable
(and released!) on this front and until then we will not be able to
check how, for example, audit logging is configured, just because we
find ourselves in implementing some "framework" around virtual tables
stuff and CLI tooling for that. We should go after user experience and
functionality first - not building some ivory towers where we spend a
lot of time inventing something while leaving a user behind -
functionality-wise, because we just have to do it differently.

I do not think of any other nodetool command we need to add after
16725 so let me finish that and then we can go wild.

Regards